Cynthia Langston Kirk has been inspired by and worked with fabrics since she was twelve. Just as she uses words to create poetry or liturgy, she works with fabric to express God’s grace, to invite people into relationship with the Holy and to tell the stories of Jesus.
With input from those who commission her pieces, she creates one-of-a-kind clergy stoles and blessing cloths for wedding ceremonies.
Cynthia also uses fabrics in workshops and retreats with novices and with seasoned sewers. She teaches people how to create inspiring altars and worship spaces and also leads workshops on such topics as “Praying with Fabric.”
Cynthia’s one of a kind clergy stoles are reflective of church seasons, biblical stories, scripture passages, memory collages or overarching biblical themes such as peace.
(Please see pictures of sample stoles below)
Stoles are $275 – 550 depending on the fabric, complexity of design and amount of hand appliqué – plus tax and shipping.
1. Contact Cynthia via email email@example.com regarding your desire to have a stole made.
2. Cynthia will send you a questionnaire to assist her in the creating process.
3. After you return the completed questionnaire, Cynthia will send you a brief description of the stole, an estimate of costs and time needed for creation.
4. If you decide to move forward with the project, you will send an approval and a deposit of half the amount of the stole to Cynthia.
5. Upon your receipt of the finished stole, the balance will be due.
Cynthia will create blessing cloths for weddings. These one-of-a kind treasures are up to 10″ x 60″ and can be used by the officiating minister, after the vows, to wrap a couple’s hands and offer a blessing.
The blessing cloth may be made from fabric that echoes the colors of the wedding. Or a blessing cloth collage can also be made of laces, handkerchiefs, napkins, pieces of dresses, part of a onesie and other fabric reminders from people from each partner’s family.
After the wedding, the blessing cloth can be framed, hung or used as a runner by the couple.
Blessing cloths range from $150 – $400 depending on the size, design and complexity.
1. Contact Cynthia via email firstname.lastname@example.org regarding your desire to have a blessing cloth made.
2 Cynthia will send you a questionnaire asking about color(s), fabrics to be used, etc.
3. Cynthia will send you a brief description of the blessing cloth and estimate of costs and time needed for creation.
4. If you decide to move forward with the project, you will send an approval and a deposit of half the amount of the blessing cloth to Cynthia.
5. Upon your receipt of the finished blessing cloth, the balance will be due.
Sample Stole Designs
(Please click on the images below to see enlarged versions of a few of Cynthia’s stole designs.)